Wednesday 1 June 2016

The season of goodbyes

People are always coming and going on board the Africa Mercy. Mercy Ships is a place of constant change. Every year around 1200 volunteers walk up the gangway with hearts full of expectation at the adventure that lies ahead. Then whether it be 2 weeks later, 2 months, 2 years or even 20 years later, someday they will walk back down the gangway for the last time. 

So, as the field service here in Madagascar draws to a close, we are in the season of goodbyes. It seems I blog about ‘goodbyes’ every couple of years (June 2012, June 2014, click on the links below to read them):




My thoughts have stayed relatively consistent over the years, and this year, in the midst of bitter/sweet tears shed on the dockside, it is the words from a well know song that sum up my overriding feelings, “Great things he has done, greater things he will do, unto the Lord be the glory, great things he has done”

It is the thought of the future that tempers the sting of separation and allows my heart to dream and even soar with expectation in the hope of “greater things he will do”. Many people fear the future but I tell my heart another story. I remind myself what the prophet Jeremiah said, that God knows the plans he has for us, plans to prosper us and not to harm us, to give us a hope and a future. No need to fear. My future is filled with hope because my God always keeps his promises. He is faithful. Greater things he will do.


I have been with Mercy Ships for almost 5 years, and I have shed many tears as people I have loved and journeyed with have left. Some I have seen again, some I have not. But every time a great person leaves, I always pray this for them, “I release you with all my love and every blessing in the name of Jesus to go fulfil your destiny in this world. To run with perseverance the race God has marked out for you.” Then I laugh and remind myself that of course I can't keep all the best people on the ship! That is not what we are here for!

For indeed, there is a whole world out there that needs the great and inspiring people whom it has been my privilege to work with and call my friends on the Africa Mercy for this season. All around the world, business corporations, hospitals, human resource departments, media teams and others, desperately need people who will stand as salt and light. People who are brave enough to keep following the 2000 year old model of Jesus to bring hope and healing ……….. to those they interact with. Perhaps no longer to the world’s forgotten poor, but nonetheless to individuals who need the same message. Individuals who need hope and healing for their broken hearts. Much like I do in fact, and those of us who have a testimony of how God has given us hope and healing.


So this week I hope these words resonate with you, “Great things he has done, greater things he will do, unto the Lord be the glory, great things he has done”

No comments:

Post a Comment